Reedy River was formed about 1778 and originally was
called Head of Enoree Baptist Church.
It formerly was located a few miles north of what is
now Travelers Rest and moved to its current location
While the name Reedy River was used in some
associational minutes years earlier, the name
wasn't officially changed until 1846.
In 1910, a
new church building was erected. Another building
program in 1949 built a new sanctuary in front of
the previous one, with the old sanctuary being
converted to educational space. An educational wing
was completed in 1958. The sanctuary has been
enlarged and remodeled since then.
Worship services were only held one or two Sundays per
month until the first full-time pastor was called in
the early 1940s.
churches were formed out of Reedy River, including
Berea First and Ebenezer.
This information was taken from a church history
written by J. Glen Clayton and included in the 1984